CBD oil has been herbal science’s most recent wonder & is being seen as the future of medical marijuana. It treat multiple conditions & provides relief from a wide range of problems like anxiety, schizophrenia, insomnia, arthritis, epilepsy, skin problems, etc. The various benefits have led to an increase in the number of CBD products available in the market which is why CBD products are making a big difference in the market with more varieties of CBD products apart from CBD oil. However, since CBD oil has been the first CBD product that people have known & used, they stick to it & place their trust mostly on CBD.while we all know that each form of medication has side-effects, CBD oil & products have side-effects too. One of the questions on side-effects hence arises – can CBD oil make me sick?
By no means do we intend to demotivate our potential CBD oil users through this article but CBD oil can actually cause sickness, not as much as it cures, but yes, it can cause sickness. However, you must note that this sickness will not be something that you will blame CBD for. Feeling confused? Read further.
CBD OIL & MAKING
CBD oil is a herbal oil that’s made from the extracts called Cannabinoid found in Cannabis plants. These plants have over 104 extracts & terpenes. One of the best things about CBD is the lack of intoxication effect unlike its sister extract THC. Tt is hence a more preferred option as compared to THC. This feature avoids it from being used for recreational purposes. Even the World Health Organisation (WHO) has reported – “cannabidiol is not likely to be abused or create dependence”.
CBD oil has many processes for extraction. Requirement, budget & size of the production scale determine the method for extraction. Once extracted, it is sold in various forms both online & offline. General idea shared by all extraction methods stands on a solvent which is passed through the plant material in order to dissolve the active compounds in the plant – cannabinoids, terpenes & chlorophyll. The resulting material is then collected as a solution for further processing before extracting out the end product.
The various processes & methods are as follows:
1. SUPERCRITICAL CO2 EXTRACTION
It is the most widely used method for extraction due its purity. The process requires well-trained operators & high-cost equipment. This increases the cost of CBD oil derived from this method apart from the purity factor.
With 90% efficiency & guarantee of the most concentrated form of CBD, this method involves passing of CO2 gas under high pressure at low temperatures. This converts the gas to liquid state which is then made to pass through the plant material. As it acts as a solvent, it dissolves all active compounds & makes its way out without chlorophyll. In the final phase, the collected solution is heated where CO2 vapourizes & only pure CBD oil is left with terpenes & some cannabinoids.
- ETHANOL EXTRACTION
This is a low-cost method but is used by many companies in the market. But, this method requires great precision which, when absent, results in low-quality CBD oil. Plus, this method has extra processing towards the end for high-quality output.
Ethanol is a polar solvent & is regarded safe by the FDA. being a polar solvent, it mixes well with water & is also able to mix well with water soluble molecules apart from the cannabis compounds. Chlorophyll will also be a part of the end product which results in a dark color liquid towards the penultimate stages of the processing. The chlorophyll can be removed with filtration process. But, other cannabinoids might get sorted out along with chlorophyll including CBD which effects the purity & quality of it. Also, this method involves the risk of solvent contamination.
- HYDROCARBON EXTRACTION
Light hydrocarbon solvents like butane, propane, hexane, isopropyl alcohol, etc are used here. These hydrocarbons, as we know, have lower boiling points which allow their extraction from the end product rendering CBD oil towards the end.
This method is completely risky & unprofessional despite being cheap & cost-friendly. The unsafe residue in it is prone to act with the immune system & render negative effects. So, being cheap, this method is not a commercially friendly method.
- LIPID EXTRACTION
It isn’t a very famous method which involves the use of fats & lipids to absorb & inculcate CBD from hemp. In this process, quite often, coconut oil is used & it doesn’t require any CO2 or other harsh solvents.
SIDE-EFFECTS & PROBLEMS WITH CBD OIL
There are some side-effects associated with dosage. These side-effects include the following:
- Lower Blood Pressure might be seen in high doses of CBD oil in some individuals. This doesn’t happen to everyone & the worst one would feel is a few minutes of lightheadedness. However, Blood pressure issue patients must consult doctor before having CBD oil.
- Lightheadedness or Dizziness happens due to low blood pressure usually. Some people feel a little dizzy for few minutes at most after CBD oil hits their system. A cup of coffee or tea, or a little piece of chocolate will help here.
- CBD impacts the metabolism of other drugs by reacting with cytochrome p450 enzymes in the liver which stops them from working. Also, certain drugs inhibit the cytochrome p450 enzymes which will lower or speed up breaking down of CBD in the liver.
- During pregnancy, CBD might cause ill-effects on the foetus as short-term exposure to CBD increased the permeability of the placental barrier, thus placing foetus at risk. This was reported by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Dry Mouth is a result too as CBD oil decreases saliva secretion. The salivary glands have cannabinoid receptors of the endocannabinoid system. CBD interacts with these receptors & inhibits secretion of saliva. A glass of water or juice can help here.
- Sleepiness may also be seen when high-doses are there when the users are insomniacs as CBD oil helps them get asleep.
- For those suffering from Parkinson’s Disease, it is recommended to speak to the doctor before trying CBD oil. While earlier research suggests that CBD oil when taken in high doses may deplete the muscle tremors due to Parkinson’s Disease, more recent research has indicated that low doses of CBD oil is safe for Parkinson’s disease affected people. Due to indistinction on this topic, doctor’s advice should be referred to before making any choice.
WHAT TO DO?
If you notice the sequence of both sections above then you have probably got a hint of your answer. We said earlier itself that CBD oil causes sickness. However, this sickness isn’t due to CBD oil as CBD oil is very much harmless given the scale of side-effects it has (but should be avoided by pregnant women). The sickness can be due to the following reasons:
- Liver Drug Metabolism
If a person is on medication already & taking CBD oil then side-effects are very much possuble.as explained, CBD oil influences the metabolism of drugs in the liver & hence problems with metabolism may lead to sickness as a side-effect.
- Bad Quality CBD Oil
The quality of CBD oil depends on the extraction method greatly. Apart from CO2 extraction, all methods may have bad quality based on the precision of making or the use of raw materials.
Again, CBD oil comes infused with MCT/coconut oil or olive oil usually. Many people experience gastrointestinal distress & stomach pain due to MCT/coconut oil. Thus usually this is an allergic reaction but not due to CBD.
Thus, to avoid sickness do the following:
- Consult a physician before taking CBD oil, always.
- Order or buy good quality CBD products from good brands which have genuine certification & better customer feedback.
- If you doubt CBD oil for the sickness, try stopping CBD oil for a while or minimising dosage to see if it CBD oil was the actual reason behind it.
Thus, it is pretty much understandable that CBD oil doesn’t make you sick normally. It may be due to allergies or reactions of bad quality ingredients that will lead you to sickness. Otherwise, there are normally no issues with CBD oil that have been reported pertaining to sickness & there are negligible chances for that too. Even on medications, one should only proceed with CBD oil once the doctor has approved of it since, as already explained, CBD & the medicinal drugs may lead to a “survival of the fittest fight” which will either not allow CBD oil to work or the drug or cause side-effects. But in case of any sickness, consulting a doctor is a better choice to have a better idea on the reason behind sickness.