For many who have used CBD oil, the newly available treatment has provided relief when all else failed. About two thirds of epilepsy patients will respond to the first or second medicine they’re given for epilepsy. But once an epilepsy patient has taken two different medicines without relief, the odds that a third medication will work are less than 1 percent, doctors say. That leaves other options, such as special diets, surgeries, device implementation—or CBD oil.
Doctors, patients and advocates are quick to point out CBD oil isn’t a miracle cure. It doesn’t eradicate epilepsy and it doesn’t help everyone. But for some patients, it can help eliminate or reduce their symptoms, and it may allow them to ease off of other drugs that have serious side effects, including anemia, low platelet levels, liver failure, pancreatitis, allergic reactions and suicidal tendencies.
WHAT IS TINNITUS?
If you’ve watched Bradley Cooper’s 2018 release “A Star is Born”, you’ll have a rough idea on what tinnitus is. Tinnitus is the perception of noise or ringing in the ears. It is very common problem which affects about 15 to 20 percent of people & roughly has 50 million Americans under its grip. Tinnitus isn’t a condition itself — it is a symptom of an underlying condition, such as age-related hearing loss ear injury or a circulatory system disorder. Tinnitus isn’t usually something serious but it causes a lot of issues & irritation. It is true that it becomes worse with age, for many lucky people, treatment helps big time while for some it doesn’t. Tinnitus can be like secondary hypertension where an underlying cause is behind it & hence identifying & treating that underlying cause can sometimes help a lot. There are other treatments to reduce or mask the noise, making tinnitus less noticeable as in case of hearing aid configured especially for tinnitus affected mass.
Tinnitus involves the sensation of hearing sound when no external sound is present around an individual. Tinnitus symptoms can be either of the various types of invisible & imaginary noises within the ears:
While in some cases, the sound can be extremely loud, so much that it can interfere the ability to concentrate or hear external sound from other sources. The illusionary noises vary in pitch from low roars to high squeals & can be heard in either one or both the ears. The good thing about tinnitus is that it may come & go, & the worst thing about tinnitus that it may be present all the time.
Having known this let us also know the two types of tinnitus.
- Subjective tinnitus is the tinnitus where only the sufferer can hear. This is the most common type of tinnitus. This is caused by ear problems in the outer, middle or inner ear & can also be caused by problems of the auditory nerves or auditory pathways, i.e, the part of the brain that interprets nerve signals as sound.
- Objective tinnitus is the tinnitus the doctor can hear when he or she does an examination & is a rare category tinnitus which is caused by a blood vessel problem, a middle ear bone condition or muscle contractions.
Causes of tinnitus
A number of health conditions can cause or worsen tinnitus. In many cases, an exact cause is never found.
A common cause of tinnitus is inner ear hair cell damage. Tiny, delicate hairs in your inner ear move in relation to the pressure of sound waves. This triggers cells to release an electrical signal through a nerve from your ear (auditory nerve) to your brain. Your brain interprets these signals as sound. If the hairs inside your inner ear are bent or broken, they can “leak” random electrical impulses to your brain, causing tinnitus.
Other causes of tinnitus include other ear problems, chronic health conditions, and injuries or conditions that affect the nerves in your ear or the hearing center in your brain.
Common causes of tinnitus
We have brushed up in brief & simple way on what tinnitus is & now it is time to know the causes of it which are as under:
- Age-related hearing loss
For most humans, increasing age leads to problems in hearing which go on worsening with age which is usually around 60 years old. Hearing loss can cause tinnitus, which in medical language is termed as presbycusis.
- Exposure to loud noiseLoud noise such as those from heavy equipment & machines are common sources of noise-related hearing loss. Music devices like MP3 players or iPods can cause noise-related hearing loss too if played loudly for long periods. Alo, earphones from normal devices or speakers at loud noises causes it. Tinnitus caused by short-term exposure, as attending a loud concert or being in an industrial setup temporarily usually goes away. But, both short & long-term exposure to loud sound can cause permanent damage. This is why audio devices these days warn for maximum volume before going to that level as they cause many ear problems like deafness, tinnitus, etc.
- Earwax blockageEarwax protects our ear canal by trapping dirt and slowing the growth of bacteria. When too much earwax accumulates, it becomes too hard to wash away naturally, causing hearing loss or irritation of the eardrum, which can lead to tinnitus.
- Ear bone changesStiffening of the bones in your middle ear (otosclerosis) may affect your hearing and cause tinnitus. This condition, caused by abnormal bone growth, tends to run in families.
Other causes of tinnitus
Some causes of tinnitus are less common, including:
- Meniere’s DiseaseAn inner ear disorder that may be caused by abnormal inner ear fluid pressure point towards possibility of tinnitus.
- TMJ disorders
Problems with the joint on each side of the head in front of the ears,where your lower jawbone meets your skull, can cause tinnitus too.
- Head injuries or neck injuriesHead or neck injuries can affect the inner ear’s hearing nerves & brain function linked to hearing. Such injuries generally cause tinnitus in only one ear.
- Acoustic Neuroma
This is a noncancerous tumor & develops on the cranial nerve which runs into the inner ear controls of balance & hearing. This condition generally causes tinnitus in only one ear.
- Eustachian tube dysfunction
Here, the tube in the ear connecting the middle ear to the upper throat remains expanded all the time which induces a feeling of ears being full. Loss of a significant amount of weight, pregnancy & radiation therapy are some causes of this type of dysfunction.
- Muscle spasms in the inner ear
Muscles in the inner ear can tense up & lead to spasms quite naturally. This can result in tinnitus, hearing loss & feeling of fullness in the ear. The reason for this often is also unexplainable by science so far. Diseases like multiple sclerosis can also be a cause for tinnitus.
What is CBD?
CBD or cannabidiol is one pf the phytocannabinoids found in the cannabis sativa & cannabis indica plant families, i.e in industrial hemp & marijuana plants. Cannabidiol oil is a food supplement disguised as a medicinal extract. Though it can be made from both variants of cannabis plant, it is mainly made from hemp due to the high content of CBD & negligibly low content of THC (partly because CBD from hemp is legal as well). Thus, the main constituent is CBD or cannabidiol & has traces of THC or tetrahydrocannabinol, other cannabinoids & terpenes based on the type of CBD oil being manufactured. Since CBD oil is made from the CBD extract derived from the cannabis or industrial hemp plants, it CBD can vary in three different categories & so will the oil.
The basic method of extraction of CBD oil is typically through CO2 extraction where CO2 gas is made to pass through plant material at high pressure & low temperature thus liquifying it. The extract obtained towards the end is then heated due to which CO2 part of it vapourises out giving us pure CBD extract with other terpenes & CBD at hand. In other methods, the solvents might continue to exist with CBD & are hard to remove unless guided professionally with extreme caution thus having a direct impact on quality. This is why Superficial CO2 Extraction method is still preferred as the best method for CBD extraction.
Benefits of CBD oil on tinnitus
CBD oil has been seen as major breakthrough as it helps to relieve various conditions. People are seeing it as a relief from tinnitus too due to which there are queries on whether it helps in tinnitus or not. As a matter of fact & as reported by many users, CBD helps to relieve in tinnitus in some cases though it doesn’t cure it. This is due to the indirect relation of working on anxiety & stress.
According to recent study, tinnitus also begins with a feeling of anxiety & stress all of a sudden. Hence, anxiety & stress get related to tinnitus. More the anxiety or stress, more will be the buzzing caused during tinnitus. It is hence believed that keeping anxiety & stress away will stop making way for tinnitus. CBD oil has been a known to process relief in the condition of anxiety & stress. It benefits anxiety & stress in the following way:
- CBD has also been claimed as a means to help manage anxiety. Researchers are of the view that CBD changes the way the brain’s receptors respond to serotonin- a chemical linked to mental health. The levels of serotonin maintain the difference between normal state of mind & depression & anxiety, i.e low levels of serotonin lead to anxiety & depression.According to one study, CBD assisted people suffering from social anxiety to deliver a better speech as compared to the other group who didn’t take any such dose. The group that received CBD showed significantly lesser anxiety, cognitive impairment & discomfort in their speech performance. Anxiety & depression are common mental health disorders that have taken the world in their grasp gradually. As the World Health Organization states- “depression is the single largest contributor to disability worldwide, while anxiety disorders are ranked sixth.”
- Stress is also a factor which is relat4ed with anxiety very closely. When the body is in stress, it commands the brain to prepare for a fight or flight situation. This leads to a condition where the brain only focuses on the false imminent danger. Thus, over anxiousness is what it results in. based on the type of anxiety, the stress captures our thoughts.
When CBD oil is dosed, it brings down anxiety. This results in the lowering of stress too. Thus, there is no more anxiety or stress on the scene & the brain becomes calm & cool.Since stress & anxiety ar one of the reasons when tinnitus begins to rise, so a lowering in the levels of stress & anxiety in the body will lead to a distance from tinnitus.
How does this happen?
While we talk about CBD oils importance in helping in tinnitus, it is important to know the way in which CBD introduces itself into our system & how does it get the work done to deliver its patented rainbow of benefits. Every mammal has its own system of Cannabinoid production inside the body which is called the Endocannabinoid System (endo means originating within the body). Due to its presence, our body itself produces cannabinoids & is responsible for the regulation of immune system response, pain, memory, appetite, inflammation & maintaining homeostasis in the body. There are two main endocannabinoids (eCBs) produced & circulated by the ECS within the body which are anandamide & 2-arachidonoylglycerol. These two eCBs bind with the CB1 & CB2 receptors that sit ready to interact with them at various points in the body. While the CB1 receptors maintain mood, memory, etc., the CB2 receptors regulate inflammation & immune-system response.
THC or tetrahydrocannabinol influences CB1 receptors’ working while CBD influences that of CB2 receptors. Previously, it was believed that CBD helps CB2 receptors interact with the brain by binding with eCBs. However, later on, it was found that CBD doesn’t bind or interact with the receptors but increases the ability of the receptors to bind with eCBs. Thus, increased ability in binding results in better working of the ECS & hence better immune & inflammation response by the body. Also, CBD enhances the production of eCBs with the help of certain enzymes in the body. Thus, the balance of the physiological processes is maintained within the body by CBD.
Tinnitus is considered by experts as a form of sensory epilepsy arising out of neuronal hyperactivity in the auditory regions of the brain partly. Thus, it can be potent treatment for tinnitus. The relevancy of tinnitus with stress & anxiety comes into picture because disruption in the brain’s electrical signaling causes issues in the amygdala which is considered to be the fear centre of the brain by some experts beside being involved in the auditory processing role. The stress produced leads to stress-response hypertension which leads to disruption in signaling causing the ringing sensation through the amygdala into the rest of the auditory processing zones into the ears.
It can hence be said that CBD oil can help in tinnitus by keeping its chances to minimal. In some cases, individuals have reported that it helped them a lot by keeping anxiety & stress mum & hence keeping tinnitus at bay. However, these findings are pretty nascent & research is still pretty nascent on this topic. Thus, experts are expecting CBD oil to be a good reliever in case of tinnitus but things aren’t in a concrete position yet. While many people online claim relief in tinnitus due to use of CBD oil, completely strong claim is still awaited.
Nevertheless, CBD oil is a good form of medication & since it has helped people with tinnitus, it must be having something for all others surely. Hence, before going for treatment of tinnitus through CBD oil, consult a doctor. This is because CBD oil’s impact differs from person to person due to difference in the body mechanisms, metabolisms, age & other related factors. Hence, be it for tinnitus or any other problem, consulting the doctor is a must.