Modern world is a place full of occupations & busy bees. Amidst this busy schedule, we are occupied with work pressure, family issues, health problems & problems due to various other factors. On the other hand, our brain has its capacity & it differs from individual to individual. Thus, while some brains are accustomed to handle big troubles, others are not. But each one of us has our own limits. And when this limit reaches saturation, we go berserk in terms of behaviour, working, routine & mental condition. This leads us to resort to a cure for the problem & hence opting for medications. CBD oil has emerged up on the scenario & has shown promising results. It has been seen that it brings relief to the common neurological problems but one question remains since it acts on the brain – can CBD oil cause insomnia?
CAUSES OF INSOMNIA
Insomnia is a condition of experiencing disturbances in sleep. This includes the inability to fall asleep & keeps us tossing & turning during bedtime for long leading to either sleepless nights or lack of sleep since you sleep late. Insomnia also includes the condition when sleep disruption occurs frequently while somebody is asleep, i.e., even if you fall asleep there is going to be constant breaks in sleep. These two conditions lead to lack of attention due to disturbance in the brain’s recharge process. It doesn’t seem serious from the outside & quite normal due to irritable behaviour, drowsiness, tiredness & headache. However,these conditions together impact the health of the brain & give rise to neurological problems. In chronic insomnia, people become so highly dependent on medicines that missing doses leads to more troubles & hence life becomes medication dependent.
Coming to the causes of insomnia, there are plenty of them. These include:
- StressOne of the most common cause of insomnia is stress. Stress may be due to many reasons which include work pressure, tension, issues within the family, etc. This results in change in the brain’s behaviour as the hormonal levels change due to which there’s issue in sleep. The mind focuses on the reasons for stress throughout as well when it’s too big & hence the focus of the brain remains there which makes it difficult to sleep.
- Anxiety & DepressionAnxiety & Depression are the biggest reason for insomnia. The way they disturb the hormonal levels makes it all the more difficult to sleep. The thought for the reason behind depression or anxiety come as a major speedbreaker to the path of sleep & hence insomnia arises.
- Emotional IssuesSo you have a very big performance before the whole college crowd & your last one or it is going to be a big sports event that you’re taking part in & have always wanted to play in. These emotional reasons aren’t into depression or anxiety but the excitement or the constant focus on it makes sleep a problem. Also, when these reasons are regular visitors, lack of sleep also becomes prevalent.
- TraumaThere are certain bad experiences which get etched in our mind for some time & in certain cases, they become etched forever. This leads to flashes of those experiences within the brain which breaks the sleep cycle. Most commonly such flashes appear in sleep which makes sleep a reason for fear for such people. This leads to psychological imbalance too.
- Existing MedicationsSleep meds like antihistamines & others are sedative in nature. Their effect doesn’t wear off so easily. Even when they allow you to sleep, not taking them after a long term usage will disrupt sleep. Beta-blockers like atenolol, carvedilol, metoprolol used for hypertension also cause insomnia.
Thus, these factors act as the main reasons in causing insomnia. One major thing to mention is the fact that not all pharmaceutical medicines are bad & cause side-effects. It is just some of them & hence they have been listed here
BENEFITS OF CBD OIL
Since we are talking about sleep deprivation due to CBD oil, we must read about the benefits at first that CBD oil brings with it.
- PAIN RELIEFMarijuana has been used to treat pain as far back as 2900 B.C. In recent studies, scientists have returned back to the circle’s starting point & discovered that CBD is responsible for its pain-relieving effects. Extracting CBD & the idea of using it as oil more often has hence become all the more speedy.
The anti-inflammatory & anti-pain properties of CBD allows things to get eased up. It has also been found in several studies that CBD & THC, when used as a combination, is effective in treating pain related to multiple sclerosis (estimated 400,000 diagnosed cases in Americans) & arthritis (estimated 54 mn diagnosed cases in American adults).
- REDUCTION IN ANXIETY & DEPRESSIONCBD has also been claimed as a means to help manage anxiety. According to one study, CBD assisted people suffering from social anxiety to deliver a better speech as compared to the other group who didn’t take any such dose. The group that received CBD showed significantly lesser anxiety, cognitive impairment & discomfort in their speech performance.Anxiety & depression are common mental health disorders that have taken the world in their grasp gradually. As the World Health Organization states- “depression is the single largest contributor to disability worldwide, while anxiety disorders are ranked sixth.”
The benefit that CBD has over traditional pharmaceutical medicines is the no. of side effects carried by the latter which range from drowsiness to agitation, insomnia to headache & so on. Apart from this, certain times, people develop substance abuse as they fall into addiction (say to benzodiazepines) which isn’t with CBD oil.
These qualities are linked to CBD’s ability to act on the brain’s receptors for serotonin, a neurotransmitter that regulates mood and social behavior.
- POSSIBLE GUARD AGAINST CANCERSurprisingly, CBD may provide to be helping hand to reduce symptoms not just related to cancer but the side effects related to cancer treatment, like nausea, vomiting & pain as well.
A study on 177 people experiencing cancer-related pain was done to find the effect of CBD & THC on pain alleviation during treatment. It was found that those treated with the extract containing both CBD & THC experienced a significant reduction in pain as compared to those who were treated with only the THC extract. Studies suggest that CBD may also help lower nausea and vomiting (two very common side-effects) during chemotherapy.
- ACNE REDUCTION & SKIN BENEFITSCBD products when used topically as an infused lotion, cream, etc. can repair damage due to UV rays and environmental pollutants caused to the skin. Cannabinoid receptors are present in the skin & are speculated to aid in the regulation of oil production in the sebaceous glands. They are also used to treat psoriasis & faster healing of damaged skin. In fact, history suggests the use of cannabis preparations for wound healing in animals and people alike in a range of cultures across the globe.
There are known cases of melanoma & carcinoma type cancers being cured by the use of CBD extracts through topical application. The case of Rick Simpson is quite famous because he cured his basal cell carcinoma with cannabis oil and now has his widely distributed line of products.
- NEUROPROTECTIVE PROPERTYResearchers are of the view that CBD’s ability to befriend & influence the endocannabinoid system & other brain signaling systems may prove helpful those with neurological disorders.
Studies on CBD treating neurological disorders like epilepsy & multiple sclerosis new but the results have been on the positive side. Another study revealed that CBD oil significantly reduced seizure activity in children with Dravet syndrome, a complex childhood epilepsy disorder, compared to a placebo group. Not just this, treatment with CBD has helped improve quality of life & sleep quality for those having Parkinson’s disease.
CAN CBD OIL CAUSE INSOMNIA?
CBD oil works with the Endocannabinoid System in our body. This system regulates the various functionings like pain, stress, anxiety, immune system response, etc. CBD oil works with the ECS & solves the issues with the common causes of insomnia instead of suppressing it down for a while. For example, low serotonin level cause anxiety & depression. When the levels go down, CBD causes secretion of serotonin while influencing the ECS. Thus, relief in anxiety & depression is seen. Thus, better relief in anxiety & depression ensures better sleep & hence it is understood that CBD oil can not cause insomnia but it rather treats it & offers sleep. Also, those with stress have reviewed CBD oil positively saying that it gets them to sleep faster & relaxed.
Since it is now clear that CBD doesn’t cause insomnia, you can venture out for CBD oil. Also, users have reported better sleep & more energised appearance after sleep contrary to the hangover effect of sleep meds. There is no psychotic effect either since CBD products are non-psychoactive. Adding to the benefits, there is no such dependency of the user on CBD oil for sleep unlike sleep meds & hence CBD oil is a better friend for insomnia than usual sleep meds.