With the increasing list of diseases & problems in our everyday lives, it isn’t a surprise that we all are at least affected with one problem or the other. Be it arthritis, anxiety, depression, blood pressure issues, diabetes, etc, each one of us have been grabbed by some sort of trouble or the other. Under this list, hypertension or high blood pressure also comes which has risen up as one of the most famous health issues post 60 years of age usually. There are various risks associated with hypertension & they may claim lives too. It is hence the need of the hour to look for a friendly alternative that isn’t too much to take & solves things with ease.
CBD oil or cannabidiol oil has been one of the most famous things in medicine industry so far. It is in fact the benefits which have made it famous & of course the legal trouble which it has gone through to become legally accepted by the USA. This CBD oil is key to various benefits related to health & hence people with hypertension ask with high hopes – can CBD oil lower blood pressure?
Yes, CBD oil can lower blood pressure & help those in hypertension. It is a great friend for those with hypertension & this has been illustrated further.
HYPERTENSION – THE NEED TO LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE
Be it the World Health Organisation’s statement that the processed food industry is one of the leading reasons for hypertension or the changing life qualities & lifestyle of people, hypertension has surely made itself an unwanted guest we don’t want to get tagged along.
Blood pressure is referred to the pressure exerted by the blood on the walls of the blood vessels. The pressure depends on the resistance of the blood vessels & the workload of heart. Hypertension or high blood pressure is thus defined as the high pressure being exerted by blood on the arterial walls. This can be both transitory or short-durational or chronic in nature. When we talk about blood pressure, we always see 2 readings. One is the lower digit while one is the higher digit. The higher digit side of blood pressure is called systolic measurement & is the peak pressure on the arteries while the lower digit side of blood pressure is called diastolic measurement or is the minimum pressure exerted by the blood on the arteries. The normal adult systolic & diastolic readings are 120/80 mm Hg. When the value goes from & beyond 140/90 mm Hg, we call the condition as ‘hypertension’. Again, hypertension or high blood pressure is of two different types which are as follows:
- Primary or Essential HypertensionMultiple factors may be responsible for it which include blood plasma volume & activity of the hormones that regulate blood volume & pressure. Besides, environmental factors also play a role in influencing it like stress, lack of exercise, smoking, alcohol, high salt intake, etc.
- Secondary HypertensionSecondary hypertension is caused by an underlying problem which gradually starts developing the problem such as kidney disease, tumors, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, obesity, etc.
Apart from the cause listed in primary & secondary hypertension, there are various causes of hypertension which are as below:
- Age: As mentioned earlier, it is more probable in people aged over 60 years. Increase in age results in blood pressure increase as the arteries become stiffer & narrower than before
- Ethnicity: Certain ethnic groups are more prone to hypertension compared to others.
- Size & weight: This has also been mentioned earlier that being overweight or obese is poses a risk of hypertension.
- Alcohol & tobacco use: Large amount of alcohol being taken regularly can increase a person’s blood pressure. Cigarettes have similar impact.
- Sex: While men are more prone to hypertension at a younger age, for women it is higher in the older group.
- Existing health conditions: Cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, high cholesterol levels can lead to hypertension & this becomes all the more strong for hypertension to enter your life when people get older.
It is thus necessary to maintain lower blood pressure as hypertension leads to problems that may end up fatal too including stroke, heart attack, etc.
WHAT IS CBD OIL?
CBD oil is a herbal oil that’s made from the extracts called Cannabinoid from in Industrial Hemp plants. These plants contain over 100+ extracts. CBD was discovered in 1940 accidentally by Dr. Roger Adams in 1940 & he was clueless on his discovery. It was a few years later the Dr. Raphael Mechoulam from Israel found out CBD & also solved its atomic structure. Since then researches were on regarding the benefits & this led to the making of product called CBD oil to reap of the benefits from CBD. Since CBD is non-psychoactive, CBD oil doesn’t cause any high even when it has THC in it though overdoses can cause a bit of high. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has reported – “cannabidiol is not likely to be abused or create dependence as for other cannabinoids”.
But, it has been a tough period for CBD as it is considered to be the same sort of high-causing & addictive extract coming from the cannabis family. But, after a lot of struggle of the CBD enthusiasts & medical practitioners, it was recently legalised in December 2018 under the Farm Bill. This legalization has given hopes to a deeper research among the practitioners of the trade.
CBD OIL & ECS IN LOWERING BLOOD PRESSURE
Since we are discussing about CBD oil’s impact on lowering blood pressure, we will discuss only related benefits:
- REDUCES ANXIETY & DEPRESSIONCBD has also been claimed as a means to help manage anxiety. Researchers suggest that CBD changes the way the brain’s receptors respond to serotonin- a chemical linked to mental health which handles mood & social behaviour.According to one study, CBD assisted people suffering from social anxiety to deliver a better speech as compared to the other group who didn’t take any such dose. The group that received CBD showed significantly lesser anxiety, cognitive impairment & discomfort in their speech performance.
As the World Health Organization states- “depression is the single largest contributor to disability worldwide, while anxiety disorders are ranked sixth.” The benefit that CBD has over traditional pharmaceutical medicines is the no. of side effects carried by the latter which range from drowsiness to agitation, insomnia to headache & so on. Apart from this, certain times, people develop substance abuse as they fall into addiction (benzodiazepines).
For this reason of pharmaceutical medicines’ ability to cure with a curse, people are showing more interest & diverting themselves to the herbal side of medical science of which CBD is developing as a known & gradually acceptable remedy for anxiety & depression.
- INSOMNIAStress & anxiety are the prime causes for insomnia. Since CBD oil impacts on anxiety & calms down the senses & the brain during anxiety it automatically leads to a relaxed condition which paves the way for good sleep especially for insomniacs. Also, unlike sleeping pills, CBD doesn’t just cause drowsiness but empowers better sleep quality as well as better energy levels the next day. CBD oils play a great role in maintaining the “sleep-wake cycles”.
- LOWERING THE ARTERIAL PRESSURECannabinoids have a direct effect upon the vascular system. CBD in this case is capable of inducing vasorelaxation, i.e. reduction in the tension of blood vessel walls. It has the ability to reduce resting blood pressure & also control it when faced with stress is around.A 2017 research paper published within the journal JCL Insight investigated & concluded the blood pressure-lowering effects of CBD on humans. Nine healthy males participated in it & were either given 600mg of CBD or a placebo. The results indicated that CBD brought down resting systolic blood pressure & reduced stroke volume (volume of blood pumped per beat).
Thus, we see that CBD oil plays a major role in lowering blood pressure & hence can be seen as near future’s best treatment for hypertension. Given the fact that it deals with anxiety & sleep disorders – common causes for hypertension, half the road for lower blood pressure is automatically clear.
Also, usual medication of hypertension bring with themselves a bundle of side-effects like- erectile dysfunction, insomnia, depression, cold hands &/or feet, asthma symptoms, dizziness & irregular heartbeat. CBD oil on the other hand doesn’t have any such side-effects. Instead, the vasodilatory & the ECS functioning properties make it a good friend for heart problems, especially hypertension & hence we can say that it can lower down blood pressure. Though the studies are limited, yet it can be taken with a physician’s advice. All in all, CBD oil has high chances of eMerging as a preferred medication for hypertension.